Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Treachery of Images

So, hello blogosphere. I know it's 2009 and that term is horribly played out, but I needed to say it. So... I've entitled this blog Treachery Of Images after the famous painting by Rene Magritte.
I feel the painting completely encompasses my feelings toward art, entertainment, and the cult of celebrity. While it may look like a pipe, and we can say it is a pipe, it can never really be a pipe, as the caption informs us. We can never smoke it, or put it to any other practical use for that matter. That having been said, it is by no means useless. It's quite valid when used as a thought exercise, as seen in this paragraph. But we need to understand that even the finest work of art is really just paint and canvas. We can let it shape our thoughts and minds, and open new perceptions, but we must not let it rule our lives. We must not let common opinion decide what is "art" and what is "real."


Ok, so that was a little heavy. As an apology, please accept this picture of something funny and Japanese.
I look forward to BLOWING MINDS some more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment